Looking for something different to make for lunch? Use pita bread pockets instead of sandwich bread. Cut the pockets in half (or make an opening on one side) and fill with any of the following to create your own tasty combination:
- Low-fat cream cheese
- Mashed avocado
- Sliced tomato or cucumber (not too much as these can make the pita soggy)
- Cheese (grated or sliced)
- Lettuce or sprouts (alfalfa sprouts are perfect as there’s lots in a pack)
- Tuna, ham or chicken
- Left-over vegetables such as pumpkin, kumara or corn
- Mashed or sliced hard-boiled egg.
Wrap the stuffed pita pockets in plastic wrap to keep them fresh and help the filling stay inside.
These can easily be vegetarian - simply leave out the meat.