- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, each cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded, cut into strips
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2cm slices
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup liquid chicken stock
- 400gram can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 lemon, frehly squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 1. Season chicken with freshly ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over moderately high heat. Add the chicken and saute until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- 2. Add onion, capsicum, celery and carrots to the pan and cook over moderate heat until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook a further 2 minutes.
- 3. Add stock, scraping browned bits from the bottom. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, lemon juice and chilli flakes and bring to a simmer.
- 4. Return chicken to the pan, cover and simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.