Easy fried rice
A tasty, healthy alternative to store-bought takeaways - it's cheaper too. Use any combination of vegetables you have on hand - fresh or frozen.
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 courgettes, grated
- 4 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1. Heat a non-stick wok or fry pan over a medium to high heat.
- 2. Add beaten eggs to hot pan. Cook, stirring gently, until they are lightly scrambled but not too dry.
- 3. Remove the eggs from the pan and put aside to use later. Wipe pan clean with a few damp paper towels.
- 4. Heat the oil in pan. Add garlic and onions. Cook for a few minutes or until the onion is transparent.
- 5. Add the rice. Stir-fry for a few minutes. If the rice is stuck together, gently break apart with a spoon.
- 6. Stir in the soy sauce.
- 7. Add the vegetables and stir-fry for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are warm. Add a little water if the mixture is too dry and sticking to the pan.
- 8. When the vegetables are heated through, add the scrambled egg back into the pan and gently mix through.