- 500 grams potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 450 gram can smoked fish, drained and flaked
- 1 capsicum, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- pinch black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- oil spray for cooking
- 1. Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain well and mash. Beat in margarine then set aside to cool.
- 2. Stir fish, spring onions and capsicum into the potatoes and season with pepper.
- 3. Form mixture into 12 patties.
- 4. In a bowl beat egg and milk together.
- 5. Spread breadcrumbs out on a tray.
- 6. Dip patties in egg mixture then breadcrumbs.
- 7. Heat a nonstick fry pan with a little oil.
- 8. On a medium heat cook patties for 2–3 minutes each side or until golden. Cook patties in batches.
NotesServe fish cakes hot with a slice of lemon and salad.