- 12 slices stale bread
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- 2. Spread each slice of bread with a thin layer of margarine then cut in half diagonally.
- 3. Cover the base of a lasagne dish with half the bread slices, making sure the margarine is facing upwards.
- 4. Sprinkle half the brown sugar, raisins or sultanas, dried apricots (if using) and mixed spice over the bread.
- 5. Repeat with the remaining bread slices, then brown sugar, raisins or sultanas, dried apricots and mixed spice.
- 6. In a jug, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla essence. Pour over the bread and push down gently to help it soak in.
- 7. Bake for 45 minutes until golden on top.