Lamb or beef casserole for babies
This casserole uses cheap cuts of meat and is high in iron. It's perfect for your growing baby from six months of age.
- - 1 tablespoon oil
- - 1 small onion
- - 200 grams stewing steak (beef or lamb)
- - 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- - ¼ teaspoon mixed herbs
- - 1 kūmara
- - 2 potatoes
- - 1 cup water
- 1. Finely chop the onion.
- 2. Cut the meat into pieces about 1 centimetre in size.
- 3. Peel the kūmara and potatoes and chop into pieces of about 1 centimetre.
- 4. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the diced onion and cook until soft
- 5. Add the lamb or beef and cook for a few minutes to brown the meat.
- 6. Add all other ingredients and bring to the boil. Add extra water if necessary to cover the meat and vegetables
- 7. Place a lid on the saucepan and turn the heat down until the casserole is simmering.
- 8. Cook until the meat is very tender (about 40 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- 9. Allow the casserole to cool for 10 minutes.
- 10. Purée in a food processor or blender.
- 11. Freeze leftover cooled purée in ice cube trays.