- 400grams brown rice
- 24 (green lipped) mussels (600grams), breards removed, scrubbed if necessary
- 3 corn cobs, cut in half crosswise, or 250grams frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted and ground
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1. Cook the rice in plenty of boiling water until al dente, about 30-40 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, place the mussels in a large pot,cover and place over high heat. Shake the pan vigorously from time to time, until the mussels have opened, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
- 3. Plunge the corn into boiling water and cook approx 6 minutes or until tender. Drain and when cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off the cobs with a sharp knife and transfer to a large bowl. Don't separate the kernels.
- 4. Add cooled rice, tomatoes, garlic, ground cumin, onion, lime juice and oil. Toss well and season with pepper.
- 5. Add mussels, removing top shells if desired, and toss carefully. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.